Pages

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Buttery Orange Cake

I used this recipe to bake the cake on the top tier of Ashleigh's birthday cake. It is one of my favourite cakes to use as a base for cake decorating from Australian Women's Weekly.


250gm unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsps finely grated orange rind
1 1/2 cups (330gm) caster sugar (can reduce by 15gm to 315gm)
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups (225gm) self raising flour, sifted
1/2 cup (75gm) plain flour
3/4 cup (180ml) orange juice


Preheat oven to moderately slow (170C degrees). Grease deep 22cm round cake tin, line base and side with baking paper 5cm above edge of pan. (I usually just line the base and grease the sides and base).
Beat butter, rind and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined between additions.
Fold in the combined sifted flours and juice and two batches.
Spread the mixture into prepared pan.
Bake the cake in moderately slow oven about 1 hour. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool.


Tips:
For cake that I will be icing, I will also flour the cake pan, after greasing it.
If you know your oven is very hot, then reduce the temperature. For my oven, I usually bake at 120-140C degrees.
Sometimes, I reduce the amount of sugar by 15gm if I know I am going to ice the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment