1 cup oil
1 1/3 cup brown sugar
3 cups coarsely grated carrot
1 cup (120gm) chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped raisins
2 1/2 cup self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsps mixed spice
- Grease an 8in round cake tin, line base with baking paper.
- Beat oil, sugar and eggs in a bowl with electric mixer until thick and creamy.
- Add the grated carrots, nuts and raisins, followed by the sifted dry ingredients.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, bake in moderate oven for 45 minutes.
- Cover loosely with foil, bake for further 45 minutes.
- Stand a few minutes in the pan before turning onto wire rack to cool.
- Top cold cake with cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
80gm cream cheese, softened
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- Beat butter, cheese, rind and juice in small bowl with electric mixer. Beat well until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add in sifted icing sugar.