Pages

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Bloodwood, Newton

Dedicating my 200th post to my gf Cindy. Thank you for shouting me lunch.
*******************************************************************

My gf, Cindy took me out for lunch @ Bloodwood in Newtown to celebrate my birthday (which was a couple of weeks ago). The restaurant has a 'recycled' theme for the decor and furniture - the recycled wooden doors hanging on a wall in the courtyard as a piece of art, another doors used for the amenities. Quirky but tasteful. There were no special lighting in the main seating area, just naked lightbulbs hanging overhead. Kitchen was not big.

The food is not purely focus on one particular cuisine, but rather a blend of different flavours from Asia and the Mediterranean. We ordered four dishes - two entrees and two mains - to share. We started with polenta chips served with a Gorgonzola dip - unusual but tasty and crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. I found the dip too strong in flavour and too runny. The polenta chips tasted better without the dip. I overheard the guy seated two tables asking for tomato sauce to go with the polenta chips, sadly the restaurant does not have any tomato sauce. I think the matri'd was shocked to be asked for tomato sauce.

Polenta Chips with Gorgonzola Dip
The chips were closely followed with a chickpea pizza, Persian feta, zucchini, roast peppers and basil.

Chickpea Pancake
For mains, we started with the charcuterie plate - with toasted bread, duck liver parfait, gherkins, mixed pickles and cured meats. Very moreish, good to nibble on as we chat.

Charcuterie Plate
The last main dish we had was garlic prawns with heirloom tomatoes, garlic, lemon, paprika, basil. This, by far, was my favourite. The prawns were just cooked perfectly.


Garlic Prawns
We were really full by now, but determined to make room for desserts and coffee.

Cindy was keen to try the Bloodwood trifle - pound cake, strawberries, rosè jelly, mascarpone, champagne anglaise - beautifully served in a stemless wine glass.
Bloodwood Trifle
I was undecided between the sticky date pudding or the vanilla slice. In the end, I went with the vanilla slice - light vanilla custard with a hint of lemon and passion-fruit with a crunchy base sprinkled with candied almonds - perfect to end the lunch.
Vanilla Slice
We were so full, I practically staggered out of the restaurant. I absolutely enjoyed the food and Cindy's company.

Bloodwood,
416 King St
Newtown NSW 2042
Ph: 9557 7699
www.bloodwoodnewtown.com
Bloodwood on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I want ot bite into the polenta chips, they stand out. Very interesting vanilla slices, they make want to drop by this rather mouth watering restaurant at the next opportunity. Definitely going for the prawns.
    You have taken good shots with depth and I feelas if I was there too at the restaurant!

    ReplyDelete