Last Wednesday, we went on a picnic with our friends, the Salionas family. I made some these muffins to share. I could find the exact recipe so I searched online and tweaked a recipe or two. The muffins were delicious, a good alternative to sandwiches for picnics.
1/4 red capsicum (bell peppers), chopped
1/2 spanish onion (red onion), chopped
2 rashers bacon, chopped
2 corn, cut kernels from centre
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp of smoked paprika powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
4 tbsp olive oil
Grated cheese (I used cheddar or tasty)
- Preheat the oven to 160C (120C for my oven)
- Saute the onions, bacon and capsicum together in a pan until onions are soft. (Optional: add 1 tbsp olive oil). Then remove from heat and cool.
- In a medium size bowl, sift the flour, add baking powder, smoked paprika and salt.
- In a measuring jug, measure 1 cup buttermilk and add in two eggs, beat well.
- Add the corn kernels and grated cheese to the sifted ingredients, and then make a well. Pour in the buttermilk and egg mixture. Lastly, fold in the fried bacon, onion and capsicum.
- Add the oil. Mix well.
- Lightly grease the 12 muffin tray. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cup. Sprinkle with grated cheese (I used tasty/cheddar).
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven when cooked and cool in the tray for 10 minutes.