Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Cherry Clafoutis

This is a rustic looking French country dessert from the Limousin region which I came across whilst researching for suitable recipes to make for the recent Spring Fair at school. I was curious to find out more and came across this simple recipe on RetroMummy's blog. Reviewing the recipe, it looked quite easy to make for a week-night dessert. It's like a custard pudding with pitted cherries covered with a thin batter and baked in the oven. It's best eaten warm when out from the oven.

1 jar cherries, stemmed and pitted
3 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
2tsp vanilla
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup full cream milk
1/2 cup cream
extra icing/caster sugar to serve

Whisk eggs until foamy, about 2 minutes, add in sugar and whisk for a further minute. Add vanilla, flour and whisk for a further minute or two. While mixing pour in the milk and cream and whisk for a further minute. Tap bowl on counter to remove some bubbles then strain the mixture and pour over the cherries. Bake 35-40 minutes in a 180 degrees oven until slightly golden and cooked in the centre. Top with icing or caster sugar sprinkled over the top. 

Thanks Corrie for the easy recipe (which she altered to suit a Thermomix too!

2 comments:

  1. I made this dessert a few weeks ago too.... Malaika loves it .. well, me too.. too bad, it is no longer the cherry season over here. I put so much cherries on mine... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious Charmaine. Can you believe I've never made clafoutis? My family doesn't really like custard. But I love cherries, must try it out, maybe I can convince them :)

    ReplyDelete