1 cup boiling water
1 cup finely chopped dried dates
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup firmly packed soft brown sugar
2 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 160C for fan-force or 180C for a convention oven. Line a loaf pan with baking paper.
- Stir the butter and the water in a medium saucepan over low heat, until butter has melted. Remove from heat, stir in the dates and soda, followed by the remaining ingredients.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake the loaf for about 40-45 mins. Stand the baked loaf in the pan for 5 mins then place on wire rack to cool.
- Serve warm or toasted with butter smeared on top.