Shortcrust pastry - cut to size to fit the small pie tins
4 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper
ham, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup pure cream
shredded gruyere cheese
- Heat the oven to 180C (160C for my oven).
- Grease the pie tins to ensure the pastry does not stick.
- Cut the shortcrust pastry to size and cover the base (ensure you cut the pastry slightly larger due to shrinkage). Prick the pastry with fork.
- Blind-bake the pastry in the oven for 10 minutes. Then remove from oven.
- In the meantime, fry the diced onions in a medium-size pan. When onions are transparent, add in the ham and fry till edges of ham are brown. Remove from heat.
- Break the eggs into a measuring jug. Season with salt and pepper, then add in the shredded gruyere cheese and cream.
- Spoon the onions and ham equally into the pie tins. Pour the egg mixture over.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Serve with mixed salad on the side.