Bought the ingredients - raspberries, jam setting sugar and butter - so I was set (pun intended!). I was a little nervous before I started the process, and had to read the instructions several times to make sure I could do it (what a idiot!). Anyhoo... I made the jam and sterilise the jars. Four jars of raspberry jam are sitting pretty on my kitchen benchtop, waiting to be dropped off at school tomorrow. Pretty pleased with myself.
Surprise, surprise... it didn't taste that bad. I would actually buy a jar myself. Chris said it was good.. high praise from hubby, then he made a comment that I should have made scones to go with them.
1kg CSR Jam Setting Sugar
1 knob of butter (10gm)
- Place the raspberries into a deep heavy based stockpot (about 6 litres).
- Crush fruits coarsely with a potato masher or blender (hand held works!)
- Heat the mixture over a low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Do not allow to boil.
- Add a knob of butter then increase heat, bring to a full rolling boil (that is a boil that cannot be stirred down).
- Boil for 4 minutes only. Remove from heat and skim off any foam.
- Test for set (push finger gently through a small amount on a cold plate to check that the surface wrinkles. Do not remove jam from heat until this has been achieved (note to self: put a plate in the fridge to chill before making the jam).
- Bottle in pre-sterilised jars.