125gm butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1/2 cup hazelnut meal
1 1/4 cups plain flour, sifted
1/4 cup self raising flour, sifted
100gm dark chocolate, melted
120gm packet dry-roasted hazelnuts
icing sugar mixture, for dusting
- Cream the butter, sugar and egg in an electric mixer until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift the cocoa powder and flours. Add in the hazelnut meal. Stir this mixture into the creamed butter, sugar and egg.
- Remove the dough from the mixture and knead into a ball, then flattened into a disc shape. Wrap in plastic wrap and place into a refrigerator for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 150C fan forced. Line baking trays with baking paper.
- Roll the dough out between two sheets of baking paper until about 1cm thick. Dust the star-shaped cutters lightly with flour and cut out the shapes, re-rolling the dough scraps and repeat the process until all dough has been cut into stars.
- Place the stars onto prepared trays. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until just firm to touch.
- Stand on trays for 10 minutes. Transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Spoon the chocolate into a snap-lock bag. Snip 1 corner of the bag with scissors (not too big).
- Pipe the melted chocolate into the centre of each star. Place a hazelnut (de-skinned) on top.
- Set aside for 15 minutes to set before dusting with icing sugar mixture and then serve.