Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Babka Bakery Cafe, Fitzroy

We had a fabulous and delicious lunch at this little cafe in Fitzroy. It's a Russian cafe which sells beautiful sourdough breads, fruit buns, creme caramel, lemon curd tart (very popular) and it also serves beautiful meals. The cafe is small with limited tables and chairs.  We had to wait a while for a table but it was worth it. As we waited, we checked out what the other patrons were ordering. The lemon curd tart seems the most popular, both as a takeaway and eat-in.


I did not take any photos as my girlfriend, Joyce had a snazzy SLR camera, which made my little point and shot pale in comparison. Check out her blog for the photos. But I wanted to note this place down, so I could visit again when I am in Melbourne.

Cindy and Joyce had the potato and sweet corn chowder served with sourdough, and it was perfect comfort food for a winter's day. I had the kransky with red cabbage which was tasty, the kransky was delicious, and perfectly cooked without being too salty. I really liked the red cabbage too, which was a surprise to me, as it is not one of my favourite vegie. My dish was served with seeded mustard on the side, which I love. Su Lin had the salmon fish pie, which was another winter's comfort food.

We had some lovely green tea with honey with our meals. We were quite full from our meals, but Su Lin (I think!) suggested we order a piece of the luscious lemon curd tart to share. It was heavenly, served with double cream on the side. Sinful but absolutely delicious....hmm.... even thinking it right now as I write this post..

Babka Bakery Cafe
358 Brunswick St
Fitzroy VIC 3065
(03) 9416 0091

No comments:

Post a Comment