Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

Easy Beef Curry

Recently, my Mum taught me how to cook beef curry, the easy way.

First, I cut up the meat into cubes. I used chuck steak, but you could also use gravy beef (it takes longer to cook). Then I place them into a casserole pot, together with sliced pieces of ginger, 2 pips of garlic and cinnamon stick. I also added some water, not too much, just enough to cover the meat. Then, I let the whole thing boil on high heat, then lowered the flame till low to simmer until the meat is tender and cooked. Cooking time: about 1 hour on low heat.

When the meat is tender, I drained the stock into a separate bowl. I then added the A1 brand instant curry sauce which I found at the local Asian store. I only used half the pack, depending on how much meat. After adding the paste, I poured some of the stock (after fat has been removed) back to the pot, and stir well. Add some salt and sugar to taste. Simmer on low heat.

Optional step: you can add coconut milk if you like. I added some kerisk (toasted grated/dessicated coconut) instead to thicken the curry.

1 comment: