Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

St Malo Bakery, Crows Nest



Last Saturday, I had the rare experience of catching a bus into the city. It was a lovely change to driving into the city, find a parking spot and pay about $10 for parking. I was going into the city to meet with some old girls from my school in Malaysia. I really enjoyed my bus ride (strange but true!). It allowed me to check out the scenery and new shops along the way, something which you don't get to do when you're driving. Whilst on the bus going through Willougby Road in Crows Nest, I spied a new bakery, St Malo Bakery selling artisan bread. According to the Artisan Baker's website, an artisan baker "is a craftsperson who is trained to the highest ability to mix, ferment, shape and bake a hand crafted loaf of bread".

We decided to check out St Malo Bakery for Sunday breakfast. The interior of the shop is French farmhouse inspired reflecting the French heritage of the owner, Anthony Marquette. There are tables and chairs for a sit-down breakfast/lunch or coffee. There were mouth-watering tarts, warm pastries, aromatic coffee and beautiful artisan breads - sourdough, baguettes, spelt breads, Volken (?), savoury quiches and sweet Danish pastries. Once we've perused the menu, we ordered at the counter.

I had the sauteed mushrooms, chorizo with toasted olive bread, Chris had the capsicum, chorizo and onion quiche, and our two girls shared a banana bread served with whipped honey butter and a strawberry tart which is sinful!

Address:
St Malo Bakery
83 Willoughby Road
Crows Nest 2065
Ph: 9906 6256


1 comment:

  1. I stumbled on this bakery a few weeks ago too (had to wander aroudn Crow's Nest waiting for daughter to finish attending a workshop). I loved the interior all warm and woody :)

    ReplyDelete