You don't realise how much you rely on an appliance until it's out of order for a while. The past weekend, we wanted to bake something or cook a roast for dinner but had to stop ourselves.
The first thing Caitlin and I made was sultana cupcakes using this simple butter cake recipe.
125gm butter, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
275gm caster sugar (I reduce to 270gm and still found it sweet)
3 eggs, beaten
150gm plain flour, sifted
75gm self raising flour, sifted
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sultanas (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to moderate temperature about 160C (fan-forced).
- Place butter, vanilla extract and caster sugar into bowl, and beat till light and fluffy.
- Add in the beaten eggs.
- If adding sultanas, add the sultanas into the bowl of sifted flours.
- Fold the flours gently alternating with the milk. Mix well.
- Spread into a 20cm round cake pan (I made these into cupcakes for my girls' lunchbox).
- Bake in oven for 1 1/4 hours. For the cupcakes, I baked them for 20-25 minutes.
- Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes when ready to cool before turning over on to a wire rack.
- Optional: Dust with sifted icing sugar before serving.