Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Malaysian Monday #7 - Spiral Curry Puffs

It has been many years since I have eaten these spiral curry puffs. Usually when I make curry puffs, I use the shortcrust pastry which is easier. I found this recipe on Sonia's blog.

I learnt the method using water dough and butter/margarine dough many years ago when my sis and I used to help my Mum and aunties to make 'kok chai' during CNY. The 'kok chai' is filled with ground peanuts and sugar or sambal har bee (dried prawns). As I rolled the dough today, I was thinking back to those fun times where we all will gather at someone's home and spend the weekend making the 'kok chai'. There will be plenty of laughter, chatter and scolding from my Mum and aunties if we were too slow. It was part of our CNY tradition which sad to say is something that is no longer practised.


My family likes them. Ash said they looked different, well yeah..more effort required too. The pastry was flaky and light. Well worth the effort especially on a cold and wet winter's day in Sydney.

The curry puffs will go well with a cup of Malaysian coffee (kopi O).

I am submitting this post as part of June 2012's Muhibbah Monday - organised by Test for Skewer, 3 Hungry Tummies and Just As Delish.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely soul food. How you make the twirls show your skill. Yummy bites from such pastries, with a kick inside for the palate.

    ReplyDelete