This winter, the strawberries have been sweet and succulent. Since I always make blueberry muffins, decided to try strawberry muffins instead. I found the recipe here.
400gm plain flour, sifted
165gm (3/4cup) caster sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
grated zest of 1 orange
1 punnet (250gm) strawberries, chopped
2 eggs, beaten
80gm unsalted butter, melted, cooled
Icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cases.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, then stir in berries with a wooden spoon.
- Mix eggs, buttermilk and melted butter in another bowl, then add to the dry ingredients.
- Stir to just combine, - don't overmix.
- Pour into muffin cases.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until risen and pale golden. Cool.
- Dust with icing sugar if desired.
Verdict: We found the muffin a little dry and not sweet, especially when we are biting into a bit without the strawberries. Might try again but increase the quantity of sugar slightly.
I also made some basic vanilla cupcakes. The muffins and cupcakes were for a girlfriend, who is organising a bargain bazaar tomorrow to raise funds for charity.