Pages

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Nasi Impit (Compressed Rice)

My mum asked me to make her some nasi impit to take to a pot-luck gathering tomorrow. She is making the satays and peanut sauce. So, I only have the recipe for nasi impit here. I use my reliable rice cooker to cook the nasi impit.

Co-incidentally, Salt and Tumeric posted a recipe for Peanut Sauce with Rice Cake this week.

Ingredients
400gm Calrose rice or Medium Grain White Rice(I use Sunrice brand avail in Australia)
Water (to measure I use my finger, about an inch or 2.5 cm above the rice level)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 caster sugar

Method
  1. Measure and place rice into the pot for the rice cooker.
  2. Wash the rice about three times and then add the right amount of water to cook.
  3. Stir in salt and sugar. Mix well.
  4. Place the pot into the rice cooker and turn on the cooker.
  5. When the rice is cooked, line a tray with cling wrap (Glad wrap), ensuring there is extra wrap to cover the top of the tray.
  6. Scoop the rice onto the lined tray and pat into shape.
  7. Cover the rice with the wrap. Leave aside to cool.
  8. When cool, cut the compressed rice into cubes.
  9. Serve with warm peanut sauce.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! This is just how my Malaysian aunty used to make them :)
    I'm trying these for the first time to serve at a fundraising canapé party next weekend - I'll let you know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete